Breakfast is a toughie. I find it is crucial to eat a balanced breakfast (Especially while breastfeeding) but it is a challenge to plan, make, and consume one. An obvious solution is a smoothie.
Reasons Smoothies are awesome:
- Don't need a ton of ingredients
- Most smoothie ingredients can be frozen so not a huge waste
- Very few dishes
- Can eat with one hand
- Easy to customize to what your body needs
I have seen several on Pinterest that had oatmeal in them and I think this is genius. Oatmeal is such a great way to start your day. It stabilizes blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, heart protection, and tons more. One night make up a few servings and stick it in a container in the fridge. Then you can use it all week and not have to make it up every morning. Plus having it cold from the fridge is a bonus. No one wants a warm smoothie. Anyways. . . . I could go on about oatmeal for days . ..well at least another paragraph but let's move on to the recipe.
- 2 Frozen Bananas (I wait until mine are brown and then put them in the freezer. Better than adding ice)
- 1 small container of plain yogurt (use greek to boost protein)
- 1/3 cup of cooked oats
- handful of raw almonds
- 1 tbsp 100% Natural Maple Syrup (or any other sweetener you like)
- 1/3 cup of non fat milk or almond milk