Saturday, July 28, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Mason Jar Cake

Mason jars are so versatile it's crazy!!  I saw the idea to use a mason jar to bake a cake and I just had to try it out!  I winged this recipe. This was my first run so I made a few mistakes but I will steer you clear of those :)  This is obviously just one recipe for the mason jar concept.  The possibilities are endless!


Strawberry Lemonade Mason Jar Cupcake
  • 4 pint sized mason jars with lids, clean and dry
  • 1 box of Strawberry cake mix
  • 2 large lemons
  • 5 ripe strawberries, cleaned
For the Buttercream Frosting
  • 2/3 cup softened butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp of milk (possibly more to get desired thickness)
  • zest from 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (this was my first mistake- I baked at 375 and too long which caused the browning).  Zest the 2 lemons and set zest aside. The strawberry cake mix asks for 1 cup of water and to boost the flavor I made a simple potion.  In a food processor or blender add the strawberries, juice from the 2 juiced lemons (watch for seeds!!), and 3/4 cup of water.  Process until no chunks.  Substitute one cup of this mixture for the 1 cup of water.


Prepare the cake batter as directed on box (I 100% encourage a scratch batter but I am a total fan of semi-made options when I can take them).  Fill each mason jar about halfway with batter.  Place jars in a cake pan with 1 inch of water. Bake for 30- 35 minutes.  To check if done, insert a wooden skewer. If it comes out clean you are in the clear.

The cake is going to rise!  The baby is taking over my brain!  As you can see above I filled the mason jars WAAYYY too full and they rose really high.  No worries.  If this happens you can easily scoop out the cake :)


Remove jars from dish with potholders. These bad boys are HOT!  Place them on a cooling rack and let cool for about 15 to 20 mins.  Now onto the yummy buttercream frosting.  In a mixer (or a bowl using a hand mixer) combine the butter, sugar, and salt.  Beat until well mixed.  Add the vanilla and the lemon zest.  Start adding milk a little at a time until you get the consistency you want.  Transfer to a piping bag (No piping bag? No problem!  Fill a large Ziploc with the frosting and cut out the end.) and pipe into the jars.  Yes you can just spoon it in but I like how easy and pretty this makes things.


As you can see I went a little nuts on the frosting but you can add as little or much as you like.  That's the beauty of an individual cake!  If you are making these as a gift: make a fun label for the lid, add some ribbon, or put in a pretty garnish!  I would say these are okay on the table for a day then move to the fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment