Saturday, July 28, 2012

Muffin Tin Omelettes with Hashed Brown Crust


It's 10:30 AM here here is what my morning looked like.  I woke up at 8:30 with my daughter, checked my facebook, rinsed off the dishes I lazily left in the sink last night, and had this wonderful breakfast made by 9:45.  These lil' bites are so great and you can choose to fill them with whatever you please!  My brain is flooded with combinations. Spinach and sausage, zucchini and mushroom, salsa and olives . . .the list could go on forever!  But here is the recipe for the bacon, green pepper, and onion ones I made this morning.

Muffin Tin Omelette With Hashed Brown Crust
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup of sour cream
  • 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • Half a green bell pepper, diced
  • medium onion, diced
  • 3 cups of shredded breakfast potatoes, thawed
  • 2 tbsp of melted butter
  • 1 cup of shredded cheese
  • cooking spray
  • salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.  In a bowl mix thawed shredded potatoes with melted butter. Press spoonfuls of the mixture in the bottom of the tins and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 25 min.


While the potatoes are in the oven I fried up my bacon in an iron skillet.  Then I sauteed the diced peppers and onions in the same pan with a small amount of the bacon grease (yes, you could opt out of using the grease and cook your veggies in olive oil). Remove pan from oven and then lower the oven temp to 350 degrees.  In a bowl beat eggs and sour cream until smooth. Add the veggies,crumbled bacon, and salt/pepper. Re-spray the tin.  Divide the mixture between the cups.  


Bake in oven for about 20 mins.  They will rise slightly and be a little golden around the edges.

They put a pinch of shredded cheese on each cup and put back in the oven for about 5 mins.  Let the omlettes cool in the pan for about 10 mins.  I ran a butter knife around the edge to loosen any stuck cheese.  Then pop em out and eat.  Don't forget the hot sauce!


2 comments:

  1. These looks so good - I love having breakfast ideas that can be on-the-go! I also like that the crust is potatoes. Who wants to mess with pie dough in the morning?

    Cute blog - looking forward to more recipes!

    ReplyDelete